This newsreel was filmed on St Patrick’s Day 1916. Mrs. Tredennick presents shamrock pins to the officers of the 18th Battalion London Regiment (London Irish Rifles) at the Duke of York’s Headquarters in Chelsea.
The London Irish Rifles (LIR) was a volunteer rifle regiment of the British army. From 1908 to 1920, the London Irish were transferred to the Territorial Force and renamed the 18th (County of London) Battalion, the London Regiment (London Irish Rifles). Shortly after the end of the First World War, it was reformed and renamed the Territorial Army, which today is known as the Army Reserve.