This delightful animated advertisement for Lemon’s sweets was originally exhibited in cinemas in 1958. It is one of 3 adverts that were made by the company at this time but this is the only one in colour.
In 1842 Graham Lemon opened The Confectioners Hall at 49 Lower Sackville Street (now O’Connell Street ) in the heart of Dublin city. James Joyce helped immortalise the Lemon’s Sweet shop in his masterpiece Ulysses, describing Lemon’s at the beginning of the Lestrygonians passage as a stop-off on the thoroughfare for schoolchildren and Leopold Bloom.
Lemon’s were one of only three Irish companies who were early champions of theatrical cinema commercials in the 1920s and continued their successful promotional campaigns through to the late 1960s.
With kind permission of Robert Roberts Ltd.