This edition of Gael Linn’s cinema newsreel records the opening on June 16th 1962 of the James Joyce Museum in Sandycove, Dublin where Joyce had spent time with Oliver St. John Gogarty in 1904. Guest of honour is Sylvia Beach, the American who published Ulysses in 1922 under the imprint of her Paris bookshop, Shakespeare and Company. The dedication of the museum was the culmination of the work of Michael Scott, John Ryan, Flann O’Brien and others to honour Joyce in his hometown. The film also shows a number of Ulyssean locations such as Eccles Street and Mulligan’s Pub.
The second item on the newsreel shows a lively Fleadh Cheoil of traditional Irish music in Gorey, Co Wexford.
To see more of the Gael Linn Collection, click here.
With kind permission of Gael Linn.